Can anyone forget the taste of Biryani from a Muslim Wedding?
Definitely not! Back home in India, we had a few close friends, who doesn’t forget to treat us with Biryani on Special Occasions. So I never longed for it then. Ever since I came to US ( with my husband being a die hard Biryani Lover ) I always try to learn & try new biryani recipes at home. I came across this wonderful recipe from Viki’s Kitchen Viki, An Amazing cook and an Excellent Narrator! She has many good recipes that I have to learn from her.
Pls note that chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala is NOT used in this recipe. Its just a blend of spices, meat & rice.Definitely worth a try.
Chicken 1/2 kg, big pieces with bones
Basmati rice 1/2 kg
Onions 2, thinly sliced
Tomato 4 small, chopped
Cinnamon 2 ( 1 inch piece)
Fennel seeds 1 tbsp
Pepper 1 tbsp
Coriander 10 strands
Green chillies 6 ( adjust according to your taste)
Ginger 1 inch
Garlic 6 cloves
Ghee 2 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Curd 1/2 cup
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
Milk 2 tbsp
Rose essence 1 tbsp
Nuts & raisins little
• Wash & Soak rice & keep it separately.
• Clean Chicken really well and marinate it with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup curd & juice of 1/2 lemon. Minimum 1 hr to overnight marination for a tender juicy chicken.
• Paste 1
Dry roast one piece cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel & pepper and grind it to powder.
Grind ginger & garlic and keep it separately.
Grind 1/2 of mint with coriander and 4 of green chillies to fine paste. Keep it separately.
• Take a heavy bottomed vessel and heat 2 tbsp ghee & 1 tbsp oil. Add one piece of Cinnamon, 1 Star anise, 1tsp Sea weed (kalpasi), 1 chip of Nutmeg (jathikai) then add the sliced onions. Sauté it to golden brown.
• Add ginger garlic paste ( Paste 2 ) and sauté it till the raw smell goes away.
• Then add the remaining chopped mint along with the tomato, continue to sauté it.
• Add mint, coriander & green chilli paste (Paste 3)and continue to sauté it.
• Take a unused dosa tawa and start heating it in a low flame.
• Mix saffron, rose essence in warm milk and sprinkle it on the rice.
• Add ghee roasted cashews & raisins and close the vessel with tight lid and place it on top of the tawa.
• Cover the lids edges with chappathy dough. So that no steam escapes.
• After 2 hours the whole house will be filled with the Aroma of Biryani.
• It can be served with Raitha, Brinjal thalicha & thakkali thithippu.