This tamarind Brinjal curry goes very well with Biryani, white rice or curd rice. Similar to Thalicha but without dhal.
Onion 1, finely chopped
Tomato 2, chopped
Green chillies 2
Tamarind paste 1 tbsp
Mustard 1 tsp
Urad dhal 1/2 tsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
White Sesame seeds 1 tsp
Peanut 1 tbsp
Gingerly oil 2 tbsp
Chilli powder 1tbsp
Coriander powder 11/4 tbsp
• Take a wide pan, add little oil and roast the slit Brinjal few minutes, till its partially done. Remove it and keep it aside.
• Dry roast peanuts & sesame seed and grind it to powder.
• Take a wide pan, heat 2 tbsp gingerly oil then add mustard seeds, allow it to crackle then add urad dhal, cumin, pepper, curry leaves, green chilli, onions one by one sautéing it till the onions turn golden brown.
• Add the tomatoes and cook it till the juice comes out.
• Next add the chilli powder & coriander powder and continue sautéing it with little water.
• Add the tamarind paste & roasted brinjal to the curry and allow it to cook with enough water and salt.
• when you see the brinjal becoming soft, add the grounded peanut & sesame seed powder.
• Cook for another 5 minutes, till a thick gravy is formed and the oil starts oozing out at this stage.
• Simmer for next 5 mins and switch off the stove. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as a side dish for biryani/ white rice.