Paniyaram is a Popular dish from Chettinad Cuisine. It can be made Sweet or Spicy. For Sweet Paniyarams, we add jaggery to the batter. Some add ‘Karuppati’ for a extra special Sweet flavor. The usual ratio for paniyaram is equal proportion of Idly rice & Raw rice. In this recipe, I have doubled the quantity of Raw rice to that of the Idly rice to get more Softer & Crispier Paniyarams.
Idly Rice 1/2 cup
Raw Rice 1 cup
Urad dhal 1/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp
Jaggery 1 cup
Cardamom 2, powdered
Coconut 1/2 cup, grated
• Wash and soak idly rice, raw rice, urad dhal & fenugreek for 6-8 hours.
• Grind it to a thick fine paste with very little water and salt. ( As we have to dilute the batter with jaggery water later, it’s grounded to a thick paste now)
• Ferment it overnight.
• Heat Jaggery with little water. Let all the jaggery gets dissolved completely.
• Filter and pour it on the batter, add Cardamom powder & grated Coconut and mix thoroughly.
• Heat the paniyaram pan. Grease the pan with 1 tsp of oil in each wells.
• Pour 3/4 of the well with batter. Cover it and cook in medium flame for 3-4 mins.
• Now gently turn it upside down and continue to cook the other side to get a roasted colour.
• Remove it from the pan and Sweet Kuzhi Paniyaram is ready to be served!