Rajma Chawal is a popular North Indian dish, made with Red kidney beans in a thick curry full of Indian spices. It is served with Rice. This recipe is adapted from Chef In You, with little variations.
Red kidney bean 1 Cup
Onion 1, finely chopped
Tomato 2, chopped
Ginger 1/2 inch
Garlic 2 cloves
Chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder 1 tsp
Dry Roast & Grind
Bay leaf 1
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Fennel 1/2 tsp
• Soak Red kidney bean overnight or minimum 8 hours. Pressure cook with a tsp of salt for 4 whistles.( Totally depends on the variety of Kidney bean you use ). Wait till the pressure is released.
• Heat a small pan. Dry roast all the items listed under Dry Roast & Grind and make it a fine powder. Keep it aside.
• Grind Ginger & Garlic to paste. Keep it aside.
• Take a new pan. Heat little oil. ( You can add butter or ghee for a richer flavor ) Add the Onions. Sauté it to golden brown.
• Purée half of the sautéed Onions. Keep it separately. ( You can purée all the Onions if you want ).
• To the rest of the onions in the pan, add the Ginger-garlic paste. Sauté it till the raw smell goes away.
• Add the puréed Onion to it and cook for few minutes.
• Purée the chopped Tomatoes and toss it in to the pan. Cook for couple of mins.
• Add the Chilli powder, Coriander powder, Amchoor powder & the grounded Garam masala powder. Cook till the spices get infused in the curry.
• Add the pressure cooked Red Kidney bean in to it along with the water.
• Mix thoroughly. Adjust the salt taste.
• Cook till you get the desired consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with Rice/ Roti.