Cutlet! Small balls of filling be it vegetable or meat is coated with bread crumbs and deep fried in hot oil. It can also be pan fried with little oil.This crispy vegetarian cutlet recipe will make a delightful evening snack and is equally good in a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
Here is the recipe for a simple healthier version of vegetable cutlet.
Cumin 1/4 tsp
Fennel 1/4 tsp
Mixed vegetables 1/2 Cup
Beetroot 1/4 Cup, grated
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Green Chilli 2, finely chopped(optional)
Coriander leaves req
Bread 2 slices
Maida 4 tbsp
Water 8-10 tbsp
• Pressure cook/Cook Potatoes & Vegetables separately and keep it ready.
• Grind Fennel & Cumin seeds coarsely in a pestle & mortar or mixer grinder.
• Take a vessel. Heat little oil. Add the grounded Fennel & Cumin.
• Add onions. Sauté it to golden brown.
• Next add ginger garlic paste. Sauté it till the raw smell goes away.
• Peel the skin of potatoes, mash it and add it to the ginger garlic paste.
• Remove it from the flame. Allow it to cool for few mins.
• In the mean time prepare the maida-water batter in a bowl.
• In another plate, toss the bread crumbs.
• Make small balls out of the filling.
• Take a ball, dip it in the batter then gently roll it on the breadcrumbs to have full coating. Repeat it for all the balls.
• Lay them on a plate covered with parchment paper.(It makes it easier to flip it on to the skillet)
• Heat a skillet. Spray little oil.
Transfer the cutlet on to it. Cook both sides to dark golden brown in a medium heat.
• You can place the uncooked cutlet in fridge for few minutes, then deep fry it in oil.
• You can add any vegetables as you like. Beetroot gives a beautiful color to the cutlet.
• If the filling is wet and you couldn’t roll it. Try adding little bread crumbs to it.