Gobi Manchurian or Cauliflower Manchurian is a vibrant dish from the Indo Chinese Cuisine. It is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) for over a century. Batter fried Cauliflower florets are tossed in to the Manchurian sauce, a sweet & salty brown sauce which is made by the delectable fusion of the basic Indian ingredients along with the Chinese Condiments to suite the Indian tastes! It is a good side for Fried Rice.
For the fried Gobi
Cauliflower 1, Small sized, Cut in to florets
Maida 5 tbsp
Corn Flour 3 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Chilli paste 1 tsp or 1 green Chilli grounded to a paste
For the Sauce
Onion 1, finely chopped
Ginger 1 tsp, finely chopped
Garlic 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Vegetable Stock/Water 1/2-1 Cup
Brown sugar 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Soy sauce 1 tbsp
Tomato ketchup 3 tbsp
Corn flour 1 tbsp
Spring onions 2-3 tbsp
• Add the clean cut Cauliflower florets in to a bowl of salted hot water. Let it sit for 5-10 mins. Drain it and keep it aside.
• Heat oil in a wok/ heavy bottomed vessel.
• In a bowl, add Maida, Corn flour, Ginger garlic paste, Green chilli paste, Salt and required water. Mix it.
• Add the Cauliflower florets and coat it well with the mixture.
• Check the oil for its hotness and then slowly drop the coated Florets in. Fry it to golden brown.
• Remove it from the oil and drain it on a paper towel.
• Take a new wide pan. Heat little Oil. Add the chopped Onions and sauté it to golden brown.
• Add Ginger & Garlic. Continue sautéing it.
• Now add Chilli powder, Brown sugar, Soy sauce, Tomato ketchup and required Salt. Sprinkle few tablespoons of Vegetable stock/Water and cook the mixture in medium heat.
• In a small bowl dissolve Corn flour with 1/4 Cup Vegetable stock/Water.
Toss it in to the mixture along with the rest of the stock. Cook for few minutes till the gravy thickens.
• Add the fried Cauliflower. Combine it well. Switch off the stove.
• Garnish with Spring onions and Serve hot as an appetizer or as a side dish to Fried Rice.
• For a healthy version, You can bake the marinated Cauliflower. Spray some cooking spray in a pan, add the marinated Cauliflower. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 mins or until it gets browned.
• Sesame oil enhances flavor when used in making the sauce.
• Use 1/2 Cup Vegetable stock/Water, if you are making a dry appetizer.