Kavuni Arisi or Black Rice Pudding is a delicacy from the prestigious Chettinad Cuisine of Southern India. It is made using soft cooked sticky Black rice (thanks to Asian stores/Chinese stores) or Karuppu arisi (Kavuni arisi) along with sugar, coconut & cardamom. A Chettinad feast is totally incomplete without serving this popular sweet.
Black glutinous rice is a fibrous & highly nutritious grain, packed with all the essential amino acids, iron, zinc, copper, carotene and several important vitamins.
I learnt this recipe during my initial days of marriage from my dear friend Charanya’s Mom, Devi Aunty! An excellent cook from whom I have to learn many recipes.
Black rice or Kavuni arisi 1/2 cup
Water 1 1/2- 2 cup
Sugar 1/4 cup
Coconut 1/4 cup, grated
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
• Wash and soak rice in 1 1/2 cup of water for 4-6 hours.
• Pressure cook rice along with soaked water, till the rice becomes soft. Minimum 15-20 mins in medium flame. (Make sure there is enough water all the time)
• Wait till the pressure gets released.
• Open the lid and smash the rice well with a spatula.
• Add coconut milk instead of coconut for a rich flavor.
• You can add a tablespoon of milk on top of it while you serve.
• You can also cook the soaked Black rice directly in a pot instead of pressure cooker with enough water keeping the lids open.
• You can add palm sugar/jaggery instead of regular sugar.