Hello everyone! How are you all today? This month’s Baking Partners challenge was to bake a Pumpkin Yeast Bread or Pumpkin Ginger Bread(Non-yeast). I chose to do the pumpkin bread without yeast. Thanks to Swathi Iyer of Zesty South Indian Kitchen for this month’s fall themed challenge. Pumpkin bread is a soft and moist bread popular during October and November when fresh pumpkins are in season. This traditional autumn delight can make a wonderful gift for friends and families during the holiday season.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 60-70 minutes
Yields: 10 medium slices
Recipe adapted from Simply Scratch
Recipe suggested by Tamy of Three Sides Of Crazy
2 and 1/2 cups of All purpose flour
2 teaspoons of Baking powder
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Unsalted butter, melted
1 and 3/4 cups of Pumpkin purée (fresh or canned)
1 cup of granulated white sugar
3/4 cup of brown sugar
• If you are going to use fresh pumpkin. Rip the skin off. Cut it in to big chunks. Pressure cook the chunks with 1/4 cup of water for up to 4 whistles in a pressure cooker. Purée it using a blender or food processor.
• Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and dust a 8 X 5 loaf pan and keep it separately.
• In a large bowl, whisk together sifted all purpose flour, baking powder, ground ginger and salt.
• In another mixing bowl, beat eggs, melted butter, pumpkin purée, both sugars for few minutes until you get a smooth mixture.
• Slowly add in the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients and mix until it is well combined.
• Pour the batter in to the prepared loaf pan and transfer it in to the oven. Bake for 60-70 minutes.
• When the skewer inserted comes out clean, remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer it to the cooling rack to cool completely.
• Heat a wide pan. Add butter. When the butter turns golden brown, switch off the stove and add maple syrup and vanilla extract. The mixture will start to bubble. Whisk continuously till the bubble subsides. Add the powdered sugar. Mix it without any lumps. Toss in a tablespoon or two of heavy cream and a pinch of Kosher salt. Whisk it thoroughly.
Drizzle the warm glaze over the cooled cake. Slice and serve. Delicious pumpkin ginger bread can be a perfect tea time snack.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
This bread holds good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container.