One of the most loved pastries of Dutch are the Koffiebroodjes. Koffiebroodjes are mildly sweet, delicious buns filled with pastry cream & raisins; glazed with jam or powdered sugar. They are also called Coffee buns and it makes a perfect accompaniment with Coffee. Thanks to Swathi Iyer of Zesty South Indian kitchen for challenging us each month with different baking techniques through Baking Partners.
Recipe adapted from: Dutch Table
Recipe suggested by: Palakkad Chamayal
3 cups of All purpose flour
1 packet /2 teaspoons of Instant Yeast
1 ¼ cup of Milk (lukewarm)
1/2 stick of Butter
5 tablespoons of Sugar
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
1 teaspoon of Salt
1/3 cup of Raisins
For the Pastry Cream
1 cup of Milk
2 Egg yolks
1/4 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of All purpose flour
1 Vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
For the Glaze
2 tablespoons of Apricot Jam( I used Strawberry Jam)
1 tablespoon of Warm Water
• Soak raisins in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain it and keep it aside.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
• Add butter and vanilla extract. Continue mixing it till you get bread crumbs like texture.
• Now add milk little by little and knead it to a smooth dough.
• Cover and allow it to proof to double its size. ( 45 minutes to 1 hour )
• In the meantime, prepare the Pastry Cream. Warm milk in a saucepan for few minutes.
• Add vanilla bean, let it sit in the warm milk for 5 minutes. Now take vanilla bean out of milk, open it up and scrape out seeds and add it back to the milk. (If you are going to add Vanilla extract, omit this step)
• In another small bowl, add egg yolk and beat it to pale yellow using a spoon or whisk.
• Combine sugar and flour to the yolk mixture. Add few tablespoons of warm milk and temper the eggs.
• Toss all the ingredients back to the saucepan and stir it till you get a creamy texture.
• Add vanilla extract now if you haven’t used vanilla bean before.
• Remove it from the stove and cover with a plastic wrap and allow it to cool down.
• Once the dough has proofed, punch and knead it again to a soft dough.
• Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a square shape, 12×12 inches approximately.
• Spread the prepared pastry cream on it, leaving an inch on all sides.
• Sprinkle Raisins.
• Roll the dough towards you, starting from the far end. Place the seam down and cut the roll into equal slices of about an inch or inch and half.
• Place the cut slices on a lined baking sheet. Cover and proof for another 20 to 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush the rolls with egg white or butter and bake them until golden brown for upto 20-25 minutes.
• For the glaze, Mix any jam with warm water and brush the rolls after taking them out of the oven.
• Delicious Koffiebroodjes is ready. Serve them warm with a cup of coffee or milk.