Lemon bars makes a delightful dessert on any occasions. With perfect combination of sweetness and tartness, it trickles your taste buds and elevates your mood. Thanks to Swathi Iyer of Zesty South Indian Kitchen for this months’s Baking Partners challenge.
Recipe source: The Secrets of Baking, Sherry Yard and The Good Cookie by Tish Boyle.
Recipe suggested by: Suja of Kitchen Corner Try It
Yields: 24 bars
Basic Short Crust Recipe
1 & 1/4 cups of All Purpose flour
2/3 cup of Confectioners sugar
A Pinch of salt
10 tablespoons (1&1/4 stick) of Unsalted butter
For the Filling
3/4 cup of Sugar
1 tablespoon of Lemon zest
1 cup of Lemon juice (from 3-4 good size lemons)
1/2 cup of Condensed milk (or Milk)
3 tablespoons of All purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon of Salt
Powdered sugar for dusting
To make the crust
• Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and position rack in the center of the oven. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan (or tart pan) and set aside.
• Using a food processor mix flour, sugar and salt. Add pieces of the butter and pulse 8 – 10 times until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
• Process until the mixture forms large clumps and holds together when pinched between fingers.
• Press dough into the prepared pan and pat it into an even layer. Using a fork prick the dough at one inch intervals.
• Bake the crust for 20 minutes until the edges become a golden brown. Cool crust in the pan on a wire rack.
To make the filling
• Using a food processor, add sugar and lemon zest, pulse until sugar is fragrant.
• Beat eggs, whisk the sugar into the eggs until you get a pale yellow color. Add condensed milk, lemon juice, flour and salt.
• Pour over cooled crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes or until it is just set and firm to touch.
• Cool to room temperature then place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before cutting into squares. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Lemon bars holds good in an airtight container inside the refrigerator for 3-4 days.